bcm63xx kernel 5.10

Florian Fainelli f.fainelli at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 11:34:46 PST 2022

On 2/14/22 11:07 AM, Hauke Mehrtens wrote:
> On 2/4/22 00:48, Hauke Mehrtens wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We would like to switch the bcm63xx target to kernel 5.10. Paul
>> created a pull request for that:
>> https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/4616
>>
>> There is still a problem with Macronix NAND flash chips, see the
>> comments from the pull request.
>>
>> Could someone please have a look into this problem.
>>
>> Does this change in the upstream kernel help?
>> https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/22ca05b82d3e3abc2b116a11ee41b6b692b95530
>>

>> Hauke
>
> Hi,
>
> I read that Daniel's device is now completely broken, probably
> bootloader was overwritten.
>
> The bcm63xx target is the last one using kernel 5.4. We would like to
> remove kernel 5.4 support from OpenWrt master soon and branch off the
> next major release. How do we want to go forward with this topic?
>
> Should we apply this hack?

I would be inclined to apply this hack and make it bcm63xx specific
unless other platforms suffer from that problem.

Meanwhile, I would reach out to the MTD maintainers to understand what
is going on, mentioning what we have found, which is that the brcmnand
controller prior to version 4.0 does not support the {GET,SET}_FEATURES
command.

Daniel, any hope of recovering your device somehow?
--
Florian