Updating env/kernel-config after rebasing/kernel version bump

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Tue Dec 27 16:01:31 PST 2022

> On Dec 27, 2022, at 4:50 PM, Robert Marko <robimarko at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 28 Dec 2022 at 00:48, Philip Prindeville
> <philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I originally set up my env/kernel-config a long time ago (like 2018) by hand, and since then the kernel has gone through several bumps.  How do I easily refresh it to pick up new stuff from target/linux/x86/64/config-${KVER} (where KVER=5.15 currently)?  Is there a handy script or make target to do this?
>
> There is make kernel_menuconfig that will essentially give you the
> kernel menuconfig and refresh the config after saving.

Right, but what does that involve?  Will it pick up new symbols from the new kernel target?  If there's a new default in 5.15 that wasn't in 5.10, how does it find its way into my config?

I tried diffing target/linux/x86/64/config-5.15 and env/kernel-config and there's a whole lot of changes.

Or is env/kernel-config the delta from the defaults for any given kernel version in config-${KVER}?