Release goals for 22.XX

Rich Brown richb.hanover at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 18:34:53 PDT 2021

Hauke: My thanks also for writing up those note.

My desire would be to name our next release "22.03", with a target release date in March 2022. And we should name the following release "22.09" with a release date in.... September. And so on - every six months (or whatever interval we believe we can sustain for the long term.)

For each release, we need to work backwards, and make the feature freeze for the March release in, say, early January so the first RC can come out in January, we can have a few RCs leading up to a final release sometime within 60-75 days.

The reasons to do this:

- Some people can only use stable releases because of their business needs or their personality. (Or because we tell them "Only Use Stable!") Regular releases let them use the newest features.

- Contrarily, a long release cycle "traps" new stuff behind something that "isn't quite done."

- We don't waste time producing and testing patched versions of the previous release. There were seven patch releases in the 19.07 series (running from January 2020 through August 2021). A regular release schedule could have avoided many of these.

- Having a firm feature freeze date decreases stress. If a particular feature is done/substantially working, it goes in. If it's not quite ready, it can skip this release, and get into the next release. (The alternative is what I think happened with DSA. It was a big change: there were a large number of problems that took a long time to iron out. That kept pushing out the date...)

- Customers (our users, our industry partners) gain confidence in projects that can meet their deadlines. Imre noted that "industry is using the snapshots..." but I suspect the extended schedule just worries other vendors.

Does this need a vote? Thanks.

Rich