Release goals for 22.XX

Hauke Mehrtens hauke at hauke-m.de
Wed Sep 29 13:28:53 PDT 2021

Hi,

The OpenWrt 21.02 release is done and we should plan the next release.
We already talked about this in the last meeting, see
https://openwrt.org/meetings/20210920

To monitor the current state I created this wiki page based on the wiki
page from the previous release:
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-developer/releases/goals/22.xx

I would like to get an overview about the "big" changes, if an
additional board is added or something is improved we do not need to
plan it.

I would like to get the following:

kernel 5.10:
We should get all targets to kernel 5.10. All targets which are not on
kernel 5.10 when we branch off should get removed.

Kernel version for all targets:
Kernel 5.10 (only):
  bmips
Kernel 5.10 (5.4 still present):
  bcm27xx bcm53xx gemini ipq806x mediatek mvebu x86
Testing 5.10:
  apm821xx armvirt ath79 bcm63xx imx6 ipq40xx kirkwood lantiq malta
  mpc85xx mxs octeon octeontx oxnas ramips realtek rockchip sunxi tegra
Kernel 5.4 only:
  arc770 archs38 at91 ath25 bcm47xx bcm4908 ipq807x layerscape omap
pistachio uml zynq

toolchain:
We already updated the toolchain in master to GCC 11.2, binutils 2.37
and musl 1.2.2. This looks good to me. Minor version updates of musl
libc later should be ok. gdb and glibc could also be update later if
someone wants to do it.

mac80211:
I would like to update the mac80211 version we use to match the code
from kernel 5.15 or whatever will be the next LTS kernel. I haven't
started yet.

DSA:
We will migrate some more boards to DSA, the lantiq/xrx200 target is
using DSA in master now. It looks like some boards with qca8k would
switch. These changes should be local to one target or even board
anyway. The infrastructure is already provided. This can continue
without much coordination and we can see what is finished when we branch.

firewall4:
OpenWrt master contains firewall4 optionally which uses nftables instead
of iptables. It uses the same configuration as firewall3, the old
configuration should still work. Custom iptables extensions should also
still work when we use iptables-nft which supports the iptables user
interface and generates nftables rules, even Debian stable uses
iptables-nft by default. Flow offloading (software and hardware) is
supported by upstream kernel when nftables is used, we are currently
using a patch to make it "work" with iptables too.

We have to activate it by default and deactivate firewall3.
We probably need some minor modifications to LuCi to show the current
nftables firewall status. This is not device depended like DSA, we can
easily test this on one device and it should work the same way on all
others.

LuCi:
What is still needed in LuCi?

Is there anything else which is blocking, should be added or needs a
discussion?

Hauke