Release goals for 22.XX

Robert Marko robimarko at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 15:43:27 PDT 2021

On Thu, 7 Oct 2021 at 00:33, Hauke Mehrtens <hauke at hauke-m.de> wrote:

> On 10/6/21 12:33 AM, Robert Marko wrote:
> > On Wed, 6 Oct 2021 at 00:08, Paul Spooren <mail at aparcar.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> based on my overview[1] things are moving forward and being tested,
> >> great! What about the targets that did not see any 5.10 ambitions yet?
> >> Specifically:
> >>
> >> - arc770
> >> - archs38
> >> - ath25
> >> - bcm47xx
> >> - bcm4908
> >> - ipq807x
> >
> > I can say that Ansuel Smith and I have been working on the IPQ807x support.
> > It's still rough when it comes to networking but I have been trying to
> > upstream other stuff slowly.
> > We were planning to make a PR adding support for most stuff soon and
> > it would be 5.10 only or
> > even better 5.15 if that lands into OpenWrt soon.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Robert
>
> Hi Robert,
>
> It would be really nice to have ipq807x in the next release and thanks
> for also getting this integrated upstream.
>
> Is this NSS firmware mandatory or will networking also work without it?
> https://github.com/robimarko/nss-packages

It should work without NSS as well, but it looks like there may be a
bug that without the NSS FW networking speeds are really low.
That is something I need to test further, but another issue is that
the wired driver is pretty bad without offloading, it has a non-NSS
mode
but the throughput is rather bad as it only uses one set of interrupts
and hogs the CPU0.
It also fakes the switch ports as netdevs and thus breaks the FDB and
roaming, so it is the usual QCA mess.

Regards,
Robert