Release goals for 22.XX

Hauke Mehrtens hauke at hauke-m.de
Fri Oct 1 15:01:11 PDT 2021

On 9/30/21 10:40 PM, Paul Spooren wrote:

> On 9/30/21 10:01, Nick wrote:

>>> I also believe we should do the next release based on Linux 5.10 and
>>> try branching still this year (which I believe is realistic to make all
>>> targets build with 5.10 till then), so we can target April 2022 as time
>>> of release.

I agree with you Daniel and think this timeline is reasonable.

>> Sounds good, so we can go on with 5.15 when it is released?
>
> Some targets already moved to 5.10 as default, feel free to add 5.15 as
> the new TESTING kernel there.

I am against adding support for kernel 5.15 now, we should better wait
till after we branched the relase off.

>> I think the most problematic thing is if we want to have DSA support
>> for all targets as requirement. Not sure if this is possible.
>
> It seems fine found a okay'ish middle ground between DSA and non-DSA, so
> I'd not make DSA blocking for the next release but continue to integrate
> it where ever possible (and stable).

I think we will never convert all swconfig drivers to DSA. I do not
think anyone will invest the time to write a DSA driver for the ADM6996L
chip for example. It could be that we just remove support for the last
boards which still use swconfig in some years.

Hauke