Interface names when putting 802.1q VLAN on top of bonding configuration

Rafał Miłecki zajec5 at gmail.com
Thu May 27 22:50:00 PDT 2021

On 28.05.2021 03:36, Mike Bernardo wrote:
> I have the below working config, is there a way to get the name to be 'vlan20', instead of 'bonding-lan.20' ? I have tried a bunch of stuff and so far nothing has worked.

I don't think you can change Linux interface name. I believe this is how
Linux handles VLANs.

That "vlan20" visible in your config is a hint for OpenWrt logical
interface name. So you should have ubus object:
network.interface.vlan20
in your case.

You can use (object) name when managing interface, e.g.:
ubus call network.interface.vlan20 status

That name is also what you'll see in LuCI if you happen to use it.