Flagship AX routers

Daniel Golle daniel at makrotopia.org
Fri May 21 02:58:46 PDT 2021

On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 11:26:58PM -0600, Philip Prindeville wrote:

> > On May 18, 2021, at 10:57 PM, John Crispin <john at phrozen.org> wrote:
> >
> > On 19.05.21 00:09, Paul Spooren wrote:
> >> Hi,

> >> I'm using both a Belkin RT3200 and a Linksys AX3200 (aka E8450), which are conveniently pretty much the same thing and I'm having a pretty good time. Would flash again.
> >>
> >> Best,
> >> Paul
> >>

> > this is the goto unit for AX right now ...
> >
> > https://openwrt.org/toh/linksys/linksys_e8450
> >
> > consider using this to flash the unit
> >
> > https://github.com/dangowrt/linksys-e8450-openwrt-installer
> >
> >     John
> >

> Thanks, both of you.
>
> Is that the one that only has USB 2.0, so if you wanted to add a hard drive for NAS or DLNA, you're bandwidth limited?

Yes, it got only USB 2.0, I guess because for USB 3.x you got to decide
to either live with 2.4~2.5GHz interference (like most IPQ devices I've
seen having USB 3.0 so far) or spend more for filters and evaluating a
board design.
It's definitely not meant to be a NAS, it's just an AP/Router, not even
too useful as a modem-router (USB 2.0 port supplies only 500mAh afair).
When using as dual-band AP, also the Gigabit Ethernet of the E8450 can
become a bottle-kneck, UniFi 6 LR got that Aquantina 2.5GBase-T PHY
(and also combines MT7622x with MT7915E, like the E8450).