opkg fails to install manually downloaded packages

Hauke Mehrtens hauke at hauke-m.de
Sun May 16 22:34:04 BST 2021

On 5/16/21 11:04 PM, Sven Roederer wrote:
> Hannu,
>
> thanks for your support to narrow this down.
>
> Am Sonntag, 2. Mai 2021, 18:43:20 CEST schrieb Hannu Nyman:
>> Sounds like a bug, but it should be named something like "Misleading opkg
>> catch-all error message 'incompatible architecture' "
>>

> Made https://bugs.openwrt.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=3814 for
it.

>> Those opkg commits in October-November 2020 by Paul, Daniel & Baptiste
made
>> lots of changes to the opkg dependency logic, and apparently the
>> "incompatible architecture" is now some kind of catch-all, which
>> catches/displays all kinds of errors too easily. At least:
>

>> Earlier there actually was an "incompatible architecture" message that
got
>> displayed if you tried mvebu package to x86 etc.. Apparently now that
>> message surfaces too easily.
>
> Yeah, seems a bit unspecific. Reverting opkg to cf44c2feb606b60, at least
> gives the expected behaviour.
>

> Sven

Hi,

I debugged  a similar problem a week ago and added this patch to opkg:
https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/openwrt/patch/20210502205912.23753-1-hauke@hauke-m.de/

This shows the missing dependencies, but I am not sure if the
pkg_hash_check_unresolved() function could also fail in good cases.

Hauke