Activate https server support in 21.02 by default

Alberto Bursi bobafetthotmail at gmail.com
Sat May 15 14:57:52 PDT 2021

 > On 15/05/21 22:13, Fernando Frediani wrote:
>> On 15/05/2021 16:59, Alberto Bursi wrote:
>>
>> <clip>
>>
>> I'm personally in the "encrypt all the things" camp. I fully support a
>> switch to https only.
>>
>> But it should be a default, not a "let's add stuff people might want
>> to enable later". Either all in or all out.
> Perhaps that's the problem.
>
> There has been a movement to blindly "encrypt all the things" even for
> stuff that may not require it ? Why ?

This is besides the point, If you didn't figure out why everyone needs
more HTTPS in their life, I'm probably not going to convince you either.

> Again, I think that if it doesn't impose much extra space consumption
> and it does not come enabled by default it may be a good middle term if
> there are significant cases, although not majority, that may choose to
> enable and use it.

What is this "middle term" actually for? What is the actual problem we
are solving here? Because that's actually KISS.

What is being done here is the opposite of KISS, add features for the
sake of it.

If HTTPS is still an optional it makes no sense to treat it differently
from all other optional packages.
The only moment it should be included by default is when it becomes
mandatory, and the HTTP interface is disabled.

-Alberto