ujail: bug or feature ?

Daniel Golle daniel at makrotopia.org
Fri Mar 26 09:17:34 GMT 2021

On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 09:32:33AM +0100, e9hack wrote:
> Hi,
>
> a program run by ujail gets a PID of 1. The real PID is different. If such a program generates a PID file by its own and the PID from that file is used by a script that is not run by ujail, then any operation will be performed with the wrong PID, which is the PID of /sbin/procd in the real world.
>
> Is this the expected behaviour?

Yes, this is expected behaviour as the program run by ujail ends up in
a new PID namespace (so that it cannot "see" other running processes).
If this presents a problem to your use-case, I can add an option to
have a the process live in the root PID namespace instead (ie. trade
some isolation for interoperatibility).