Unnecessary extension of default packeges for x86 generic

Alberto Bursi bobafetthotmail at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 15:48:31 GMT 2021

On 02/03/21 08:27, Florian Eckert wrote:
> Hello Alberto,
>
> Thank you for the explanation.
> If that is so then we should also remove the vmware driver as a kmod
> package [1].
> That makes no sense if this is then already in the kernel enabled [2].
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Florian
>
> [1]
> https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/blob/master/package/kernel/linux/modules/netdevices.mk#L1007
>
> [2]
> https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/blob/1ca5de13a153061feae260864d73d96f7c463785/target/linux/x86/64/config-5.4#L440

Good catch, given the feedback I received when I added the AWS support,
if we touch this we should drop the vmware driver from the kernel and
add the kmod to default package list of x86_64. So that people can use
ImageBuilder to make images without this package if they want.

Also the same idea applies to all other non-critical VM drivers which
should be moved to a kmod and added to default package list unless they
are required to mount the rootfs (the current AWS Elastic something, and
the KVM VirtIO drivers for example) or cause breakage otherwise.

I'm personally not very interested in doing this conversion because as I
mentioned before I don't care much about this being compiled in and I
would not remove it.

But maybe you are interested in doing this or at least a part of it for
vmware or kvm or whatever hypervisor you are most familiar with.

See the discussion on the github PR here [1]

[1] https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/3799#discussion_r559839567

-Alberto