Should ubus be marked as target-specific "nonshared"? (broken 21.02 rc2 imagebuilder)

Hauke Mehrtens hauke at hauke-m.de
Sun Jun 6 15:32:56 PDT 2021

On 6/6/21 9:56 AM, Hannu Nyman wrote:
> Paul Spooren kirjoitti 5.6.2021 klo 22.49:
>> Sounds good to me. Do you mind investigate what other packages are
>> affected
>

> I went through the ~60 instances of "nonshared" packages in the main
> OpenWrt repo, and found that toggling six packages to nonshared would
> solve the common problems:
>
> libubox, ubus, uci, lua, libjson-c, libnl-tiny

This should fix such dependency problems, but we would be unable to
update these components without a new OpenWrt service release even when
the ABI did not change. For critical problems we normal provide a new
service release so this is probably not such a big problem.

> Additionally also elfutils (libelf, libdw)  could be toggled to
> nonshared, but as that is only needed for the non-default "perf"
> package, I do not find it that important.
>
> (I left iptables aside from the analysis as iptables modules have lots
> of internal dependencies.)
>

> Analysis:
>
> Nonshared packages having a dependency to an ABI revisioned normal package:
>
> libiwinfo    --> +PACKAGE_kmod-cfg80211:libnl-tiny +libuci +libubus,
> libiwinfo-lua --> +libiwinfo +liblua,
> umbim        --> +libubox +kmod-usb-net +kmod-usb-net-cdc-mbim +wwan,
> uqmi         --> +libubox +libblobmsg-json +kmod-usb-net
> +kmod-usb-net-qmi-wwan +wwan,
> mtd          --> +libubox,
> block-mount  --> +ubox +libubox +libuci +libblobmsg-json +libjson-c,
> blockd        --> +block-mount +fstools +libubus +kmod-fs-autofs4
> +libblobmsg-json +libjson-c,
> ltq-vdsl-app --> @TARGET_lantiq_xrx200 +libpthread +librt +ltq-dsl-base

> +libubox +libubus,
> ltq-adsl-app -->
> @(TARGET_lantiq_xway||TARGET_lantiq_xway_legacy||TARGET_lantiq_ase)
> +libpthread +ltq-dsl-base +libubox +libubus,

ltq-dsl-base should be nonshared, I changed this a month ago.
All kernel modules are nonshared by default.

> perf      --> +libelf +libdw +PACKAGE_libunwind:libunwind +libpthread
> +librt +objdump @!IN_SDK @!TARGET_arc770 @KERNEL_PERF_EVENTS

KERNEL_PERF_EVENTS is not activated in the default images, so perf is
not build anyway.

> Solving the above ABI dependencies by toggling these to nonshared:
>
> libubox (libubox, libubox-lua, libblobmsg-json),
> ubus (libubus),
> uci (libuci),
> lua (liblua),
> libjson-c,
> libnl-tiny,

Looks like a good solution.

> elfutils (libelf, libdw)
>

> Nonshared packages having a harmless dependency to normal packages
> (excluding packages with dependencies to just kmods or target):
>
> fstools      --> +ubox +USE_GLIBC:librt +NAND_SUPPORT:ubi-utils
> dropbear  --> +DROPBEAR_ZLIB:zlib
> comgt     --> +chat
> comgt-ncm --> +comgt +wwan +kmod-usb-serial-option
> +kmod-usb-net-huawei-cdc-ncm
> comgt-directip --> +comgt +wwan +kmod-usb-serial-option
> +kmod-usb-net-huawei-cdc-ncm
> dsl-vrx200-firmware-xdsl-a-patch --> @TARGET_lantiq_xrx200
> +dsl-vrx200-firmware-xdsl-b +bspatch
> ltq-dsl-base --> @TARGET_lantiq +jshn
> base-files --> +netifd +libc +jsonfilter +SIGNED_PACKAGES:usign
> +SIGNED_PACKAGES:openwrt-keyring +NAND_SUPPORT:ubi-utils +fstools +fwtool

Hauke