Supporting DSA on the OpenWrt Forum

Rich Brown richb.hanover at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 05:35:34 PDT 2021

As I learn more about DSA, I want to make two requests to help out people who support OpenWrt on the forums.

For the next several years, a question of the form, "I just upgraded my router from X to Y, and the networking stopped working...", will mean we have to figure out if this could be a swconfig -> DSA conversion problem.

To simplify our lives, I have two requests:

1) The firmware should display an unambiguous indicator about DSA. Since the firmware "knows" whether it's present or not, it can put that information in a known place. My suggestion: Put "DSA" at the end of the "build string" (I'm not sure of the correct name), like this:

At end of LuCI string: Powered by LuCI openwrt-21.02 branch (git-21.163.64918-ba57ec5) / OpenWrt 21.02.0-rc3 r16172-2aba3e9784 DSA
At end of ssh banner string: OpenWrt 21.02.0-rc3, r16172-2aba3e9784 DSA

I am open to other options: my only request is that I can explain to newcomers how to get the information with a single sentence. (Forgive me if a DSA indicator is already present, but I have not seen one to date.)

2) It would be good to add a field about DSA to the TOH. I would name it "DSA Supported Since". Legal values would be "-" (not supported), "21.02-rc1", "23.07", etc. This gives an indication about DSA when upgrading, and forum supporters can look up the device to get a hint of whether DSA might be involved.

Thoughts? Thanks.