Enabling Wi-Fi on First boot

Alberto Bursi bobafetthotmail at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 05:15:36 PDT 2021

On 08/07/21 09:39, Petr Štetiar wrote:
> Paul Spooren <mail at aparcar.org> [2021-07-07 15:10:59]:
>
> Hi,
>
>> Feel free to check this out, it's not ready yet but should give an idea:
>>
>> https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/4349
>>
>> More sophisticated setups are not supported this is merely used to allow
>
> are not supported for *now*, but once folks notice this, they'll of course try
> to extend this for their use case and thus bloat it further. BTW why is
> wireless so special?

because it's a very commonly used (in the sense that everything has wifi
in this day and age) and convenient way to connect to the device to do
first config than ethernet.

pppoe and uqmi and whatnot are not used for first configuration so I
don't see why would someone hijack what is basically an accessibility
function to use it for set up internet connection instead.

 > IIUC this
  feature can't be used from imagebuilder either, thus folks
 > would need to
  always build the images from scratch, which seems to
 > be overkill just for
  tweaking config. Or am I missing something?

I agree with this point, and that's one of the main reasons I said this
should be done as a package instead than build time config.

-Alberto