Job board support on openwrt.org?

Ted Hess thess at kitschensync.net
Sat Jan 23 09:55:05 EST 2021

On 1/23/2021 1:25:31 AM, "Alberto Bursi" <bobafetthotmail at gmail.com>
wrote:

>On 22/01/21 20:03, Daniel Golle wrote:
>>Hi Philip,
>>
>>On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 11:23:42AM -0700, Philip Prindeville wrote:
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>Is anyone interested in adding a page to the openwrt.org site about developers willing to do commercial work?
>>>
>>>It could be as simple as:
>>>
>>>* name
>>>* email address
>>>* mobile (if wanted)
>>>* packages/platforms/architectures you maintain or have competence in
>>>* whether you're available full-time, part-time, or currently unavailable
>>>
>>>Might be useful for matching up devs with work.
>>
>>While I like the idea and would probably benefit from it myself, I'm
>>a bit sceptical when it comes to making OpenWrt.org an institution
>>certifying developers. Too much trouble was caused over having
>>'@openwrt.org' addresses and I doubt we are able to handle the
>>moderation needs (think: classic fraud, fishing, ...) of such a thing
>>if it is even a wiki, ie. free to edit for all.
>
>the site/wiki has user-restricted pages already (the front page, the releases page and personal developer pages I think, probably more) because otherwise it would be a field day for spambots.
>So this would not be a "free to edit for all", and more of a "ask a wiki admin to add your data to the page".
>I and Tmomas won't be able to do a through vetting process on anybody, but we are more than enough to stop basic spammers and such, and can also respond to complaints and remove somebody in case issues arise later.
>I'm also thinking about having some rules of thumb to limit access to people that have actually been involved in OpenWrt for a bit and can prove it (some relevant commits, some useful mail in the list, a core developer vouching for them, whatever).

I pretty much agree with Alberto here - It seems like a good idea.
Additionally, there must be some sort of criteria (contributions,
legitimate business site or references) to get your name/outfit listed.
And, as Daniel said, we don't want to be in the business of certifying
contractors. If we get complaints, their reference gets reviewed and
most likely removed.

My 2 cents,
/ted