Job board support on openwrt.org?

Alberto Bursi bobafetthotmail at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 01:25:31 EST 2021

On 22/01/21 20:03, Daniel Golle wrote:
> Hi Philip,
>
> On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 11:23:42AM -0700, Philip Prindeville wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is anyone interested in adding a page to the openwrt.org site about developers willing to do commercial work?
>>
>> It could be as simple as:
>>
>> * name
>> * email address
>> * mobile (if wanted)
>> * packages/platforms/architectures you maintain or have competence in
>> * whether you're available full-time, part-time, or currently unavailable
>>
>> Might be useful for matching up devs with work.
>
> While I like the idea and would probably benefit from it myself, I'm
> a bit sceptical when it comes to making OpenWrt.org an institution
> certifying developers. Too much trouble was caused over having
> '@openwrt.org' addresses and I doubt we are able to handle the
> moderation needs (think: classic fraud, fishing, ...) of such a thing
> if it is even a wiki, ie. free to edit for all.

the site/wiki has user-restricted pages already (the front page, the
releases page and personal developer pages I think, probably more)
because otherwise it would be a field day for spambots.
So this would not be a "free to edit for all", and more of a "ask a wiki
admin to add your data to the page".
I and Tmomas won't be able to do a through vetting process on anybody,
but we are more than enough to stop basic spammers and such, and can
also respond to complaints and remove somebody in case issues arise later.
I'm also thinking about having some rules of thumb to limit access to
people that have actually been involved in OpenWrt for a bit and can
prove it (some relevant commits, some useful mail in the list, a core
developer vouching for them, whatever).

-Alberto