bcm63xx-cfe: device folder names

Adrian Schmutzler mail at adrianschmutzler.de
Tue Jan 19 06:45:07 EST 2021

Hi,

due to a recent discussion on bcm4908 target, I became aware of the naming scheme for (device) directories in bcm63xx-cfe, which is based on a device's compatible.

Since these packages are used during _build_, it seems a bit odd to use the compatible here, as it's a variable used on the "running device". (Apart from that, one gets folder/file names with commas in them, which is a bit odd and misleading, too.)

For automated inclusion, like for the bcm4908, selecting the correct package requires additional (though trivial) steps replacing characters to get the compatible from the DEVICE_NAME of a device. These additional steps are completely unnecessary since we could just replace "," by "_" in the repo and get the proper DEVICE_NAME for the devices at hand.

I thus propose to apply this change to the repo - replace all commas by underscores for the device folders (e.g. asus,gt-ac5300 -> asus_gt-ac5300) - and change the current manual inclusions in bcm63xx accordingly.

For our build system, I don't see any drawbacks, this just has advantages (getting rid of additional steps etc.).

Since we have a (soft) policy to keep device definition names and compatible consistent, this won't require any complicated renames. For external users, only one character will have to be adjusted in the manual device string/list which they maintain.

I'd be happy if this could be adjusted as the DEVICE_NAME-based approach seems more logical and consistent to me and we should still be at a stage where this can be changed without hitting too many people.

Best

Adrian