OpenWrt 21.02 planning

Hauke Mehrtens hauke at hauke-m.de
Thu Feb 11 17:57:15 EST 2021

Hi,

We just had our developer meeting and want to do branch the next release
soon. I just want to coordinate the release planning here, the full
meeting notes will be published later.

We want to merge the mac80211 update to version 5.10 found here:
https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/staging/hauke.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/mac80211-5.10
Felix uses this since some time now and found no problems, I am also not
aware of any problems. Kernel 5.10 is an LTS kernel which makes security
maintenance easier for us.
I plan to merge this at the weekend.

We would also like to get this busybox update in:
https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/openwrt/list/?series=227292
It also works well and should make it easier to maintain busybox in our
stable release.
I plan to merge this at the weekend.

It would be nice to get DSA support in LuCI. We have this pull request:
https://github.com/openwrt/luci/pull/4307
This still has problems with Wireless bridge-vlan.
If this is not ready in time for the branching we will backport it later.

Rafał is asking about the general LuCI status here:
https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2021-February/033715.html

For more details, we have this release goals page:
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-developer/releases/goals/21.02

lynxis and ynezz will prepare the build bot setup to build snapshots of
the 21.02 release branch and the releases (candidates).

If everything will look good, we will branch 21.02 sometime next week.

If the update of mac80ß211 or busybox breaks something, we will fix it
or revert the update this should not delay the branching.

I would like to have a 21.02-rc1 in 2 or 3 weeks after the branching, so
we get more test coverage.

Do we still have some important bugs we should really fix in master or
anything which could be blocking for the release?
Any objections to this plan?

Hauke