cypress-nvram repository on GitHub

Josef Schlehofer pepe.schlehofer at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 10:25:10 PST 2021

Hello guys,

I am trying to get more familiar with target/bcm27xx.

I noticed that in the OpenWrt base repository, there is package
cypress-nvram [1], which has its own repository [2] on GitHub under
OpenWrt organization, but this repository is not available on
git.openwrt.org [3].
It is not a big deal at all to not have it there. I'm wondering why
there is a need to have own cypress-nvram repository when files in this
repository are identical as they can be found in the linux-firmware
repository. [4] This repository is already used for the same-named
package in OpenWrt.

 From my point of view, this currently leads to increased maintenance
efforts and another place where the issues can be created. Right now,
there are a few files, which are outdated and newer versions of them are
present in the linux-firmware repository.I will send a pull request soon
to have it updated in the downstream repository as well to be in sync
with upstream. Is there a possibility to use files from linux-firmware
for SDIO cards, which are mostly used in RPi? It would avoid duplicating
work.

[1]
https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/blob/master/package/firmware/cypress-nvram/Makefile
[2] https://github.com/openwrt/cypress-nvram