[RFC] Stop providing binary package updates for release builds?

Sebastian Kemper sebastian_ml at gmx.net
Mon Dec 13 13:32:08 PST 2021

Am Sun, Dec 12, 2021 at 08:42:52PM +0100 schrieb Jo-Philipp Wich:

> In my opinion, there is a fundamental decision to be made on whether we would
> like to pursue the goal of (also) being a binary distribution for
> routers/embedded appliances or if we simply concentrate on the build-from-
> source aspect and leave the binary package business to forks or other
> downstream distributions projects.
>
> Given that maintaining binary package distributions is hard and boring work we
> need to decide whether we want to fully and properly pursue this goal or
> rather not at all and focus on always porting master to the latest minor
> Kernel version and finding the optimal compilation flags for each SoC
> revision.
>
> I am interested in hearing you thoughts and comments on this matter.

Hi Jo,

I'm not exactly sure you mean to "only" stop uploading package updates
for release builds or if you'd at the same time also consider removing
the upgrade mechanism itself ("opkg") from the target images. The latter
would majorly increase the workload of testing new packages.

But I'm also opposed to just stopping to upload release package updates as
it is such a nice feature to have. Obviously it's really handy. Yes,
you can shoot yourself (and others) in the foot, but tell me one linux
distribution with strict gun control laws :).

Regarding "forks or other downstream distributions". Would be glad to
hear your personal choice of these, the ones you run on your own
routers. :)

If this notion made it into OpenWrt infra I can only _hope_ that a fork
gets made (again) :)

You can tell I write this half-jokingly, because I really don't think
anybody would seriously consider this.

Good night,
Seb