starting point for SOF_TIMESTAMPING_TX_SOFTWARE in bridges

Paul D newtwen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 05:54:41 PDT 2021

Someone more experienced than I am might have a good answer.

How trivial is it to patch openwrt 21 and/or master in one place, such
that my brX/br-lan has the flag SOF_TIMESTAMPING_TX_SOFTWARE if the
underlying hardware/eth driver also has it?

I would like to run ptp4l on my bridge (swconfig, ath, DSA not in yet)
and ptp4l mandates at least SOF_TIMESTAMPING_TX_SOFTWARE. But weirdness
ensues and the source IP chosen is the WAN and packets just disappear
when using L3.

Forum post here:
https://forum.openwrt.org/t/ptp-224-0-0-x-and-224-0-1-x-multicast-on-21-02/103721