Brokenness of the OpenWrt "packages" repo

Alberto Bursi bobafetthotmail at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 20:33:58 BST 2021

On 26/04/21 07:51, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> Etienne Champetier <champetier.etienne at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Are you trying at the same time to complain about not run-tested
>> updates and possibly having packages not up to date ?
>
> No.  The package was fine before the version was changed.  In fact, it
> was in much better shape before it was changed to a development version
> by the very same non-maintainer.
>
> If you don't care enough to even install the package, then please don't
> touch the package.
>
>> I would personally mark it as broken or remove it instead of making it
>> work again, but it means removing some other packages.
>
> I'd be all for that, if you apply that rule to all the unmaintained
> packages in the repo.  It's a much better solution than having the repo
> full of arbitrary untested changes to unmaintained packages.
>
> Wrt dbus I'm pretty sure it would provoke an adoption.  There are
> multiple packages depending on it, and as the immediate reports tell
> you:  This particualr umaintained package is in active use.

I also second this. If there is no maintainer, the maintainer is unable
to do his job (let's say it's the 4th time he merged stuff that was
blatantly obviously not tested) or the current maintainer is unreachable
for more than X time, the package should be dropped(moved to the broken
package repo or not, it's still in git history anyway).

That is the best way to get someone to volunteer as maintainer, even if
this person will just be a glorified tester, aka someone that only runs
tests on the package after any change.

-Alberto