OpenWrt 21.02-rc1

Andre Heider a.heider at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 16:18:31 BST 2021

On 08/04/2021 11:14, Mauro Mozzarelli wrote:
> 2) dsl_control [status|lucistat] was changed with dsl reporting removed https://forum.openwrt.org/t/openwrt-21-02-dsl-control/89962/22
> I understand the reason behind this change. I had to write my own command line reporting and adapt batch data collection and router connectivity keepalive scripts that previously depended on dsl_control, but users who have dependencies on these removed command line features are likely to be impacted. My recommendation is that it should be documented (there is no documentation right now).
> I wonder why backward compatibility was not considered as it would not be difficult to reproduce "status" and "lucistat" functionality.

Going by that forum post, I'm that "genius". Ignoring your misplaced
tone, it's the same as with most open source projects: upstream you
stuff or expect breakage if you rely on internal data.

Consumers of these metrics that *are* upstream (luci and prometheus at
the time) were adopted to the new ubus metrics, so there is no breakage.

Sometimes things need to evolve. And if they do, there's no way to fix
or even know about downstream users. If you've got something that's
valuable to other users, it's in your interest to upstream it so you
won't run into this again. On the other hand, I too use various patches
that aren't suitable for upstream. That's on me and I need to adapt
those every now and then if things change. But I don't get the right to
complain if things change.

Cheers,
Andre