ddns-scripts is broken since last major update

Andre Heider a.heider at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 07:01:49 EDT 2020

On 26/09/2020 12:30, Ansuel Smith wrote:
> Il giorno sab 26 set 2020 alle ore 10:52 Andre Heider
> <a.heider at gmail.com> ha scritto:
>>
>> Hi,

>>> We changed how the services files is handled... You now need to both
>>> download the service with the 'ddns' command or install the companion
>>> package with all the services preinstalled.
>>
>> but the non existing backwards compatibility sucks though. This move
>> breaks every installation relying on a provider which now moved to the
>> new package.
>>
>> And the `ddns` command is basically just a stripped down opkg in sh. It
>> just duplicates some required stuff, for what? And if I read that right,
>> if one uses that approach, one needs to redo the setup after each image
>> update since the dynamically downloaded provider is not gone from the
>> filesystem.
>>
>> I think this needs to be more user friendly and less setup breaking.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Andre
>
> Ok one solution would be to add a feature to autodownload the json file
> for already created service (if the json is not found)
> This change was done to light up the package since 99% of the time you
> don't need all the service but just one. We can also set the downloaded
> json to be kept across system updates. Thx for pointing this problem..

Ok, but having a set of quite some providers doesn't have to be bad
thing. Was this done to just get the number down or because of space
savings?

Because if it's the latter, it doesn't look like it would save that much:
data.tar.gz, extracted from ddns-scripts_service_2.8.0-24_all.ipk, so
all 81 providers, is just 4453 bytes. Having all providers on the jffs2
compressed filesystem probably occupies the similar space?

Regards,
Andre