ath79: move 8/32 boards to tiny subtarget

Sven Roederer devel-sven at geroedel.de
Thu Sep 17 19:27:07 EDT 2020

Adrian, David,

Am Mittwoch, 16. September 2020, 16:15:42 CEST schrieb David Bauer:
> Hi,
>
> On 9/16/20 11:40 AM, Adrian Schmutzler wrote:

My idea based on the fact, to have an easy way to disable certain kernel-
features to reduce teh kernel-size (in flash and RAM). Candidates I see here
are: USB-Support, additional filesystems, block-devices, ...
Even some devices provide USB-connectors it might be better to have less OOM-
crashes and reboots than installing a usb-flashdrive. In our Freifunk-Firmware
I've seen much less runtime-problems with a stripped down kernel.
With having the 8/32 in tiny it would just be a config-file for the low-RAM
boards. Having them in generic subtarget would require to build 2 kernels for
the same subtarget.

> In it's current state, it will most likely increase low-memory issues as the
> squashfs blocksize is 1024kB compared to the regular 256kB. Not that
> ath79-tiny has no target-flag for small memory set.

Did you miss an "e" ? "Note that ath79-tiny has ..." gives more sense to me.
Reading it this way, you expect the larger blocksize was choosen as tradeoff
between using the flash most efficient vs. RAM for the 4/32 boards?
I've seen there is a low_mem flag for some 16MB boards defined. It seems that
for some config-options SMALL_FLASH and LOW-MEM are conflicting.

Sven