SQUASHFS error: xz decompression failed, data probably corrupt

Andrii Voloshyn a.voloshyn at d.mobilunity.com
Fri Sep 11 08:28:59 EDT 2020

Hi there,

 Occasionally I see the following error messages when booting:

SQUASHFS error: xz decompression failed, data probably corrupt
SQUASHFS error: squashfs_read_data failed to read block 0x2dba2
SQUASHFS error: Unable to read fragment cache entry [2dba2]
SQUASHFS error: Unable to read page, block 2dba2, size 14400
SQUASHFS error: Unable to read fragment cache entry [2dba2]
SQUASHFS error: Unable to read page, block 2dba2, size 14400
json_object_from_file: error reading file /etc/hotplug.json: I/O error
json_object_from_file: error reading file /etc/hotplug.json: I/O error
json_object_from_file: error reading file /etc/hotplug.json: I/O error
json_object_from_file: error reading file /etc/hotplug.json: I/O error
open: No such file or directory
open: No such file or directory
open: No such file or directory
open: No such file or directory
open: No such file or directory

Only HW reset helps, and after the reset the messages are gone, and the board boots as expected.
On the board is NOR flash, so I guess it is not related to bad blocks.
Has anyone seen this issue before? Any clue how to fix it?

 OpenWRT 19.07.03,  mt7621 chip

Cheers,
Andy