enabling cellular modem on openwrt.

Aymen Zayet aymen.zayet at qiio.com
Fri Sep 4 05:48:36 EDT 2020

Hi everyone,

I am currently working on enabling the cellular modem. The modem is
enabled over GPIOs from the hardware side, and over ppp from the
protocol side.

And I am trying to find the right place to setup the hardware before
/lib/netifd/proto/ppp.sh is called.

The network configuration I am using is the following (
/etc/config/network ) :

*config interface 'broadband'*

*    option ifname 'ppp0'*

*    option proto 'ppp'*

*    option pppd_options 'defaultroute'*

I did some hacks in ppp.sh script in order to turn on the modem on
proto_ppp_setup() and turn it off on proto_ppp_teardown() hooks. but
this seems to me a kind of workaround that brings several issues.

Also if anyone knows an openwrt based platform using cellular modem , I
am interested to know which one. It will be very helpful.

Thanks a lot for your support.

Aymen.