hostapd: add additional network section to wpa_supplicant

Florian Eckert fe at dev.tdt.de
Mon Oct 12 09:22:27 EDT 2020

Hello Community,

I have a openwrt system in mobile use.
That means I have a hostapd running as an access point for clients and
at the same time a wpa_supplicant running to another access point as
uplink.
So the router is client and access point at the same time on one radio.
My problem is that the access points for the uplink have different
SSIDs.
I have to add several enabled uci wireless "wifi-iface" sections to
connect to them.
The problem is now that I have running a wpa_supplicant process for each
wifi-iface section.

I have seen that in the wpa_supplicant config you can add several
network sections for each ssid, so I have only one wpa_supplicant
process with x network sections.

The way I see it this is currently not possible with openwrt.
Does anyone have an idea how to implement this?
Or where do I have to start?

Kind regards

Florian