Fate of kernel 4.19

Adrian Schmutzler mail at adrianschmutzler.de
Fri Oct 9 08:19:34 EDT 2020

Hi all,

in master, we currently support kernels 5.4 and 4.19.

All targets build with 5.4 by default, so 4.19 is just there and can theoretically be used for regression testing (if it still works).
However, since our last release used 4.14, 4.19 effectively is just an interim step that has never been "released".

Initially, my plan was to propose removing 4.19 during the RC stage of the next release.

As the main effect of 4.19 at the moment seems to be that it's complicating patches/changes, though, I wonder whether that option to do regression testing is actually used by anyone, or whether it's just a theoretical thing that's completely superfluous, as nobody will do it anyway.

Based on the response here, one might remove 4.19 even earlier then if nobody actually needs it anymore.

Opinions? Is anybody still using 4.19 at least occasionally?

Best

Adrian