20.xx: postponse LuCI HTTPS per default

Alberto Bursi bobafetthotmail at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 09:46:31 EST 2020

On 20/11/20 14:22, Fernando Frediani wrote:
> I don't see having HTTPS by default in LuCI as something good or even
> necessary ? It's actually an unnecessary complication that could always
> be optional.
>
> One of the main reasons is that in many and probably most cases of a new
> deployed OpenWrt router there is still no Internet connection available.
> Also it doesn't seem to be that people need it since access by default
> is only done via the LAN interfaces.

Not using SSL means anyone in the LAN can snoop the password to access
the router.

While this is a non-issue for most home wired networks, it is for wifi
and most people will use wifi on their router.

WPA2 is not going anywhere for a long while still and it is susceptible
to deauth attacks. After the attacker has captured enough handshakes
after the deauth they will know the wifi password. It just takes a while
but there are plenty of automated tools to do that 24/7 like Pawnagotchi
(a raspberry zero running a dedicated application) or wifi pineapples or
whatever.

Using SSL for web interface means the system is at least
compartimentalized so in case someone breaks into the wifi/LAN they
won't also take over the router as well.