R: 20.xx: postponse LuCI HTTPS per default

ansuelsmth at gmail.com ansuelsmth at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 21:24:12 EST 2020

> Given that the first login via LuCI, on a fresh install, is not with a
> password anyway.  What if setting the initial password sets up
> letsencrypt also. Then when letsencrypt's first successful cert install,
> https gets enabled as the default and then requests the user reboot to
> complete the setup and will force their next session to https.
>
> I agree that https with self-signed certs are not good, especially on a
> first boot/install device.

My 2 cents, I still think that have a properly verified cert is madness.
I really think that to address this the best way would be to add a big
And very explicative alert to the first login page.
The process would be
1. First boot --> First login (no password set) Append to the already
present alert about password-less system, an alert about self signed
cert and that the browser will tell that the router page will not be secure.
(again this must be very explicative and easy to understand)
2. As soon as the user set a password, the webserver is restarted with
http disabled/redirected and https now enabled. The user should now
know that the page is secure and that he can whitelist/allowlist(for the
inclusive people :D) it.

This way the user won't be scared of unsecure page and can understand
why the page is secure. Also if we want to push security to an upper level
with self signed cert, we can ask the user to insert some data so that the
self signed cert can be generated based on that and actually validated by
the user (to prevent any MIT attack)