[OpenWrt-Devel] Quectel RM500Q failing to get ip address assignment with netifd and modemmanager

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Tue May 12 04:41:36 EDT 2020

Hey,

> root at localhost:~# mmcli -b 2
>   --------------------------------
>   General            |  dbus path:
> /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Bearer/2
>                      |       type: default
>   --------------------------------
>   Status             |  connected: yes
>                      |  suspended: no
>                      |  interface: wwan0
>                      | ip timeout: 20
>   --------------------------------
>   Properties         |    roaming: allowed
>   --------------------------------
>   IPv4 configuration |     method: dhcp

This is the issue here. It shouldn't say DHCP, it should say "static",
because the WWAN network interface of all the new 5G modules are
always in raw-ip instead of 802.3, and therefore MM should fallback to
request static IP addressing instead of DHCP.

Please try to backport the following fix:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mobile-broadband/ModemManager/-/commit/a8fd33ebaa80a0844c375fdb39173736d18f71cb

I really haven't spent much time backporting 5G related fixes to the
1.12 branch, because they will all be released together in 1.14 soon.

--
Aleksander
https://aleksander.es