[OpenWrt-Devel] [ModemManager] How can I make ModemManager work right?

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Tue May 5 11:22:35 EDT 2020

Hey Jeonghum,

> Thank you for the very kind message!
> I tried "mmcli -L" and received an error message:
>   root at LEDE:~# mmcli -L
>   error: couldn't create manager: Timeout was reached

This is extremely weird, and it would show some issue with your setup,
maybe with how DBus is installed/running in the system. mmcli should
never fail in that way; if the ModemManager daemon owns the
well-known-name in DBus, a manager object should be created; and if
there is no MM daemon running, mmcli would just return with a
different error (couldn't find the ModemManager process in the bus).
The fact that you're getting a timeout when trying to talk to the DBus
server is not expected at all.

> I added "--debug" option into the ModemManager start command.
> I used device path: "/sys/devices/platform/1a0c0000.usb/usb2/2-1" in the /etc/config/network.
>
> And I got an logread output file.
> I will attach it to this email.
>
> I already posted this question to the ModemManager maillist also:
> https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/modemmanager-devel/2020-May/007798.html
>
> So now I'm waiting Alexander's reply message about my problem.

I'm also in this mailing list :D

> But, If you have any idea, please let me know.

Did you try with the suggestion to configure baudrate and flow control
settings? Looking at the kind of modem you're working with, I highly
doubt those port settings will have any effect at the end, as you're
really a device that exposes the TTY via USB port, and it also looks
like you have a cdc-wdm+wwan pair (QMI? MBIM?). What modem
manufacturer/model is this?

--
Aleksander
https://aleksander.es