[OpenWrt-Devel] RFC: versions.json

Luiz Angelo Daros de Luca luizluca at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 07:46:38 EST 2020

Hello,

Thinking on which info the client side would need, I would remove the
minors info if we can just skip to latest. And, It's missing a changelog
link. Also, each release can have its own info.json with more info.

How would it deal with devices that cannot be upgrades (like the past case
of 4/32)? Or will it bother the user forever with a nonsense upgrade
suggestion? How would it deal with devices target or subtarget changes
(like ar71xx -> ath79, or generic -> tiny) or this is more a "go to
OpenWrt.org" instead of "click here to download"? And aborted releases that
brick devices until a new release is ready, specially when they are
specific to a device?

The version.json would speed up upgrade rollout. It would also increase the
impact of a bugged upgrade. I would be nice to have something like a staged
release process, even just for suggesting them to the user. We could create
some form of machine id mixing device mac, urandom seed, board id and the
new release version and use it for selecting a device for a stage. It could
be a client-side-code only strategy but versions.json could inform the
proportion of each stage.

It would also be interesting to have some form of automatic or manual
success feedback like "Notify OpenWrt if your upgrade worked". This way, a
backend could be notified before the upgrade and expect a response
afterwards.