[OpenWrt-Devel] Google Season of Docs projects for OpenWrt

Baptiste Jonglez baptiste at bitsofnetworks.org
Mon Jun 8 13:16:54 EDT 2020

Hi,

On 08-06-20, Stan Grishin wrote:
> I've had a look at the project ideas posted, and I'd like to put my
> name forward for a few areas where I'd like to contribute:
>
> 1. There is a great documentation for creating lua-based luci
> applications and model/cbi which allowed me to start creating WebUI
> applications without knowing much about Lua. I believe it would be
> beneficial to have similar documentation for the new javascript UI. I
> don't have much experience with javascript, but I can read and with
> some supervision I hope I can document things.

I think what you're looking for already exists? https://openwrt.github.io/luci/jsapi/

The links on https://github.com/openwrt/luci/wiki/Documentation were
broken, I have just fixed them.

LuCI is quite different from the other components (and as you said already
has extensive documentation).  Project 1 is mostly about the other core
components at https://git.openwrt.org/?a=project_list;pf=project

> 2. The showcase project -- as someone who pushed for the "why use
> LEDE" page when the site was redesigned, I'm glad the importance of
> this is recognized by core developers. In addition or instead of #1, I
> can help out with some DNS or VPN-related articles.
>
> I have contributed to some wiki pages (sadly changes since
> overwritten), LEDE showcase and READMEs on my own packages
> (simple-adblock and vpn-policy-routing).

I guess you are referring to https://openwrt.org/#why_use_openwrt and
https://openwrt.org/reasons_to_use_openwrt ?

This is a good start: while these pages are mostly general, I'm thinking
of Project 4 as a way to showcase specific setups and use-cases.  In other
words, it's complementary.

Most of the project is about producing content, but there is a first part
about thinking how to organize/publish things.  Do you have ideas about
this?  Wiki pages, blog posts, videos, something else?

> Let me know if/how I should proceed.

For details on the process if you want to apply, please see https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs/docs/tech-writer-guide

The deadline to apply is in one month, so you still have time.

> PS. I'm glad you brought up the LineageOS wiki, I wish we could
> supplement the ToH with something like the search at
> https://wiki.lineageos.org/, where when you start typing some letters
> from your devices it lists supported ones matching what you typed.
> With a variety of platforms/devices supported by OpenWrt it may be a
> daunting task for a new user just trying to figure out how to find the
> OpenWrt binaries for a specific device.

I'll let Paul answer, as I think he was the one proposing this.

Thanks,
Baptiste

PS: please keep discussion in the same email thread.