[OpenWrt-Devel] DSA vlan configuration

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Sat Jun 6 09:19:36 EDT 2020

Bjørn Mork <bjorn at mork.no> writes:

> I wonder if I have understood this correctly:
> 1) vlan_filtering is required when bridging tagged and untagged DSA
>    ports, and
> 2) all bridge ports, including the wireless VIFs, must be configured
>    with the correct VIDs when vlan_filtering is enabled
>
> An if so, how are we supposed to configure that?

quarky just posted a great tip in the forum:
https://forum.openwrt.org/t/mt7621-dsa-switch-vlan-configuration/65458/2?u=bmork

Despite having looked for exactly this, I had not seen the
"vlan_default_pvid" setting before.  This seems to solve the problem I
described.

I believe the tagged wan port, where one VID on wan is part of a bridge,
is a semi-common usecase for OpenWrt (and CPEs in general).  Maybe this
kind of bridge automatically should enable settings like:

 ip link set <br-name> type bridge vlan_default_pvid <wan-vid>
 ip link set <br-name> type bridge vlan_filtering 1

as described by quarky?

AFAICS, a DSA based brigde won't work without something like that, and
having each user figure that out by themselves is going to create a lot
of frustration...

Bjørn