[OpenWrt-Devel] OpenWrt 20.X release plans

Hannu Nyman hannu.nyman at iki.fi
Sun Jan 19 12:56:30 EST 2020

Hauke Mehrtens kirjoitti 19.1.2020 klo 19.17:
> On 1/16/20 11:05 AM, Petr Štetiar wrote:
>
>> BTW it's still master + 2 stable releases which will receive the support? Once
>> the 20.y is out, the 18.06 is EOL?
> I think this is not really clarified yet. I assume that 15.05 and 17.01
> are now officially fully end of life. I do not know when we put 18.06
> into this mode, but it will definitely get less patches after 19.07 is
> out, because people care now less.
>
> I added some support status to this wiki page:
> https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-developer/security#support_status
> I hope this is ok, I put some minimum dates there and they should be
> extended if we think we will support something longer. I am fine with
> changes.
>
> I think the latest release branch is better support than the previous
> one, how do we paraphrase this? Name it extended support like some
> companies do it?

Referrering to the old discussions in 2018 (below), I think that the most
recent release branch should be "fully supported" and the previous one
(currently 18.06) could be said to "receive security updates and occasional
bug fixes", but it should not be claimed to be "fully supported" any more.
Maybe "security maintenance" ?? There simply isn't enough interest for
ancient branches, when even the most recent branch tends to be mostly dormant.

That was my take from:
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/openwrt-adm/2018-July/000849.html
http://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2018-September/014097.html
https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2018-November/014526.html