[OpenWrt-Devel] Question: Migration from ar71xx to ath79

Thomas Endt tmo26 at gmx.de
Mon Jan 13 08:14:54 EST 2020

> The remaining documentation issues are the following:
>
> - functionalities that are present in ar71xx but missing in ath79.
>   If I read https://openwrt.org/docs/techref/targets/ar71xx-ath79 correctly,
>   missing functionalities in ath79 are supposed to go in the "Unsupported"
>   field of the hwdata?

Yes.

>  How do we know if it's missing only in ath79 or in both ar71xx & ath79?

The "unuspported functions" does not distinguish between targets, but since ath79 is the future, I'd say this datafield should represent ath79.

> - update download links for all ar71xx/ath79 devices so that they point to
>   19.07.0/ath79 images instead of 18.06.5/ar71xx.  This can be done by
>   changing the hwdata page.  Should this be done blindly, or manually
>   after checking that ath79 works properly on the device?

I will update the dataentries via script (possibly today).
If there is an ath79 image available in 19.07, download links will be changed as you have written above.
If a device does not really work with 19.07.0/ath79, the dataentries should be corrected once details of the malfunction are known.

Regards,

Thomas