[OpenWrt-Devel] RFT: Add support for kernel 5.4

Stefan Lippers-Hollmann s.l-h at gmx.de
Fri Feb 28 16:20:52 EST 2020

Hi

On 2020-02-28, John Crispin wrote:
> [...]
[...]
> > ath79 with kernel 4.14 has already been (mostly) broken by "ath79: add
> > new ar934x spi driver" (ebf0d8dadeca443121f4f597c51bf6591e341caf), which
> > does break the (shared between all kernel versions) DTS definitions for
> > NAND based ath79 devices (breaking compilation with kernel 4.14).
> >
> > Because of "FS#2524 - ath79-tiny: TP-Link TL-WR941ND v2.4: Marvel
> > MV88E6060 regression between kernel v4.14 and v4.19"
> > https://bugs.openwrt.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=2524 I still do
> > regularly build ath79 with kernel 4.14, but in order to finish the build
> > I do need to comment out the affected devices:
[...]
> > Admittedly, the affected TL-WR941ND v2 (4/32) is barely worth the effort
> > anymore.
[...]
> sorry for being dense here. what are you trying to tell us ? is there a
> bug for which you propose a patch or is this a report or just a rant ?
> honestly cant figure it out

Neither, nor. It's merely a report that kernel 4.14 support (albeit
technically present in source) for ath79 isn't functional anymore (and
hasn't been for a few weeks) anyways, regardless of the introduction of
kernel 5.4 and its changes to ag71xx. Kind of answering Adrian's previous
question "By moving ag71xx to files-4.19 on ath79, I suspect 4.14 is broken
now on this target."

Beyond that, I'm merely explaining why I'm still regularly looking at ath79
with kernel 4.14 (because of the aforementioned regression in MV88E6060
on top of kernel 4.19). While I still regularly build for this device and
sometimes boot it up/ flash a fresh (kernel 4.14 based) build, I'm well
aware that this device is far beyond its prime (4/32, buggy draft-n AR9103
wireless) and don't actively use it anymore. Therefore I consider this
flyspray bug more as a heads-up (while ath79 with MV88E6060 is rare, the
underlying cause for this regression might have further impact), than in
any way, shape or form 'important' - and I'd consider commenting out
"tplink_tl-wr941-v2" (or removing its support altogether) a valid
'solution' (just retaining images for it in its current state in master is
problematic, as they are broken and because the device requires serial
access for recovering; no push-button tftp recovery provided by the OEM
bootloader).

Regards
	Stefan Lippers-Hollmann