[OpenWrt-Devel] RFC: versions.json

Petr Štetiar ynezz at true.cz
Wed Feb 26 08:36:14 EST 2020

Paul Spooren <mail at aparcar.org> [2020-02-23 00:04:59]:

[ adding openwrt-devel to the Cc: loop ]

Hi,

> A first step could be to establish a *versions.json* file at the root of
> downloads.openwrt.org! The file would allow to check if a device still runs
> the latest release. JSON seems common enough and is well supported by LuCIs
> JavaScript implementation and also via jshn.sh on a CLI/script level.

I'm wondering whether this JSON is really needed, wouldn't just some kind of
unified symlink/directory structure would work as well? I mean, why to care
about another JSON file content if the same could be achieved otherwise.

 snapshot          -> snapshot
 release/candidate -> 20.07.0-rc2
 release/current   -> 19.07.1
 release/previous  -> 18.06.7

Do we need to care about archive releases?

> Update check script should look for the closest version found in the same
> channel. So a *stable* 19.12.3 device updates to 19.12.5

Wouldn't it be safer to upgrade first to 19.12.4? :-)

> This could also introduce channels like "stable" (latest point release),
> "testing" (rcN) and "unstable" (snapshots). As a dict is used the *versions*
> array could be extended without losing compatibility.

Déjà vu[1]? :-)

1. http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2019-August/018646.html

-- ynezz