Please revert 98b86296e6 as it breaks several ipq806x devices

Hannu Nyman hannu.nyman at iki.fi
Thu Dec 31 07:49:09 EST 2020

Hannu Nyman kirjoitti 31.12.2020 klo 14.32:

> I did some further debugging, and noticed something.
>
> In short: Possibly the definition of CONFIG_CMDLINE_OVERRIDE has been
> placed into a slightly wrong place in arch/arm/Kconfig.
>

> I compared the kernel build log with the working code (without
> CONFIG_CMDLINE_OVERRIDE=y) to log with the faulty code, and there is only a
> small difference:
>
> In the faulty version, there is a one-line warning:
>   warning: override: CMDLINE_OVERRIDE changes choice state
>
> context:
> <code>
>   HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/symbol.o
>   HOSTLD  scripts/kconfig/conf
> scripts/kconfig/conf  --syncconfig Kconfig
> net/sched/Kconfig:45: warning: menuconfig statement without prompt
> .config:987:warning: override: CMDLINE_OVERRIDE changes choice state
>   HOSTCC  scripts/dtc/dtc.o
> </code>
>
> So, the new option changes something else.
>
> I looked at
> build_dir/target-arm_cortex-a15+neon-vfpv4_musl_eabi/linux-ipq806x_generic/linux-5.4.85/arch/arm/Kconfig
> and noticed that the new definition of CONFIG_CMDLINE_OVERRIDE has been
> placed into end of a multi-option choice block. Enabling this option may
> now change the selected value of the choice of
> ARM_ATAG_DTB_COMPAT_CMDLINE... options.
>
> Possibly the new definition should be after the "endchoice" line, so that
> ARM_ATAG_DTB_COMPAT_CMDLINE things do not change.
>
> Or possibly it should be inside the next choice block about CMDLINE

One more observation: The faulty Asrock commit's commit messages says:

  - 900-arm-add-cmdline-override.patch was copied from
102-powerpc-add-cmdline-override.patch from powerpc target.

But looking at

https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/blob/master/target/linux/mpc85xx/patches-5.4/102-powerpc-add-cmdline-override.patch

shows that there the code there is apparently placed outside any choice
block, just before "config EXTRA_TARGETS"

So, looks like the author has accidentally placed the block into inside a
choice block and it has worked for him.