[RFC] raise gcc/make versions for 20.x

Petr Štetiar ynezz at true.cz
Wed Dec 16 00:26:01 EST 2020

Rosen Penev <rosenp at gmail.com> [2020-12-15 19:03:55]:

Hi,

> The issue is with EL7. That would break the ability to compile.

this is moot argument[1]:

 [root at 9bb9a267fbb6 build]# cat /etc/redhat-release
 CentOS Linux release 7.7.1908 (Core)

 [root at 9bb9a267fbb6 build]# gcc --version
 gcc (GCC) 8.3.1 20190311 (Red Hat 8.3.1-3)

> there's a clang warning to fix the GCC 4.8 issue:
> -Werror=gnu-empty-initializer .

And what is your point?  Are we supposed to handle this and possibly dozen
other corner cases in GCC 4.8 just because someone wants to use EL7 in default
setup and refuses to install and use modern toolchain? Even then, what's the
problem? You could still simply revert the commit which would make gcc6+
requirement.

1. https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/commit/4ba8f7b1ef1e4c0607185a41c06b51928c625d8b#commitcomment-35907238

Cheers,

Petr