[RFC] raise gcc/make versions for 20.x

Petr Štetiar ynezz at true.cz
Wed Dec 16 00:07:18 EST 2020

Paul Spooren <mail at aparcar.org> [2020-12-15 16:26:14]:

Hi,

> I've seen two patches for version raises of build requirements and would
> like to know if we should merge them before or after 20.x.
>
> make: 3.81.x -> 4.1.x
> gcc: 4.8 -> 6.x
>
> I'm in favor to merge both *before* the branch.

it would probably help to know the reason as well. "I'm in favor" might not be
enough in this almost pre-release stage.

AFAIK that Make version bump fixes an issue with possibly few stray ANSI color
escapes (workaround is to use NO_COLOR=1 in this case) and \r characters in the
log file. Is it really that big issue to do this last minute version bump?

FYI that gcc6+ one was NACKed[1] by Yousong and I'm fine with that for 20.12
release. I plan to rebase/resend that patch once 20.12 is branched.

1. https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/openwrt/patch/20191112081625.27695-1-ynezz@true.cz/#2301662

Cheers,

Petr