Make HTTPS in LuCI optional but dead simple in 20.12 [Was: Re: 20.xx: postponse LuCI HTTPS per default]

Petr Štetiar ynezz at true.cz
Tue Dec 15 04:25:03 EST 2020

Petr Štetiar <ynezz at true.cz> [2020-11-20 11:44:14]:

> > I'd like to suggest to postponse HTTPS LuCI (`luci-ssl` vs `luci`) per
> > default.
>
> Do we need to make this hard decission? Can't we leave it to the end users?
> We need most of the SSL stuff for other parts, so why not benefit from that in
> other parts?
>
> For the start, can't we simply introduce some first time welcome page on HTTP,
> explain to the user, that HTTPS is available, the pros and cons of this
> solution and let the user decide?
>
> In less intrusive way, this welcome page/wizard could be replaced with some
> information box "HTTPS is just a moments away", so the user would need to
> explicitly request that HTTPS feature.
>
> There might be some better UX approach, but please try hard to move forward,
> not backward :-)

this PR#4660[1] (needs PR#4659[2]) and uhttpd patch[3] is my complete attempt
to make the HTTPS optional, but just two clicks away.

1. https://github.com/openwrt/luci/pull/4660
2. https://github.com/openwrt/luci/pull/4659
3. https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/openwrt/patch/20201214090743.14651-1-ynezz@true.cz/

Cheers,