Preparing commit description for "ramips: disable default build for HooToo HT-TM02"

Szabolcs Hubai szab.hu at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 18:08:00 EST 2020

Hi,

I planned to refresh the support of a rt305x SunValley Filehub device:
HooToo HT-TM02.

I wanted to follow Adrian's and Russel's work for HooToo HT-TM05 and
RAVPower RP-WD03 in mt7620 [0].

I toought disabling the image generation would be easy,
as binwalk showed an oversized kernel: "image size: 1624829 bytes",
so it won't boot anyway.

DECIMAL       HEXADECIMAL     DESCRIPTION
0             0x0             uImage header, header size: 64 bytes,
header CRC: 0xCB63E9C7, created: 2020-12-06 08:18:07, image size:
1624829 bytes, Data Address: 0x80000000, Entry Point: 0x80000000, data
CRC: 0x10379393, OS: Linux, CPU: MIPS, image type: OS Kernel Image,
compression type: lzma, image name: "MIPS OpenWrt Linux-5.4.81"
64            0x40            LZMA compressed data, properties: 0x6D,
dictionary size: 8388608 bytes, uncompressed size: 5182719 bytes
549311        0x861BF         Cisco IOS microcode, for ""

But I was unable to verify this because of the following:
- wingspinner's uboot [1],[2],[3] reads successfully the whole kernel,
but throws "LZMA ERROR 1 - must RESET board to recover" - which is maybe
fixable by $(Device/uimage-lzma-loader)
- original u-boot loads and boots nicely the oversized kernel

And all compatible rt305x devices (HT-TM02, HT-TM01, RP-WD02 and maybe
RP-WD01) uses wingspinner's image, as it is installable through the OEM
web interface. And it comes with he's custom uboot.

What should I write in the commit description now?

My plans on refreshing have bad times too as the OKLI Loader is unable
to find the "OKLI" magic as the device doesn't map the flash to any
memory address.

While David ported official U-Boot to ramips target already with the
RAVPower RP-WD009 support, I'm little bit afraid of my success
porting it to rt305x as U-Boot doesn't have "rt5350.dtsi" to start with.

May I ask for help not just for commit description but for creating
a second stage loader for ramips/rt305x too?

Thanks,
Szabolcs

[0]:
https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=log;h=c4110a524e9a026cf570b6dadf325c037b7527d0