[RFC] remove x86 qemu images

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Mon Dec 7 16:05:23 EST 2020

> On Dec 7, 2020, at 1:28 AM, Florian Eckert <fe at dev.tdt.de> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> openwrt.git includes an old version of QEMU (0.14 vs 5.1.0 in
>> packages.git) only to convert x86 images to vdi and vmdk. Is there
>> anyone actively using the vanilla x86 QEMU images from the upstream
>> servers or can can we remove that "feature"?
>
> I am building my own openwrt.
> So I do not use the upstream vmdk image.
> But I use the generated vmdk image by the image builder for a few tests.
>
> If we remove a feature, then we should offer an alternative.
> Even if it is only a command.
>
> Regards
>
> Florian

I have a few cheap (Xeon-D) KVM servers lying around that I wouldn’t mind putting into a CI/CD pipeline for testing x86 (and x86_64) builds, but don’t have the time.

If someone else wanted to do the integration I would host it (hint, hint).

So potentially, Qemu integration is still useful.  That said, though, I’d probably test .img’s and not .vmdk files…

-Philip