[RFC] Policy for PKG_RELEASE bumps

Florian Eckert fe at dev.tdt.de
Tue Aug 18 02:55:54 EDT 2020

Hi team,

> * When anything inside the packages ipk file changes
>     Includes patch and so called "cosmetic" changes outside the
> Makefile, e.g. replace tabs with spaces.

PKG_VERSION:
This is the upstream version of the Project and this is the upstream
version we build.

PKG_RELEASE:
This is the change we are making on the part of OpenWrt and should be
counted up with every change.
No matter what is changed.
It is not the same package anymore.
And if we change the PKG_VERSION and use a new upstream version, the
PKG_RELEASE number will be set to 1.

I've always done it this way until now?

This would avoid the tedious asking `Can you please bump the PKG_RELEASE
number?`
The advantage is if there is a policy and everybody knows the workflow.

Now I don't know whether to count it up or not.
Also you can not estimate if it is a big or small change.
See my P/R [1] to add tabs to rc.common help output.

Best regards

Florian

[1] https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/3246