documenting proc_add_mdns for multiple things

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Sun Aug 16 18:28:16 EDT 2020

It seems that proc_add_mdns is unable to add multiple entries for a process.
For instance, if lighttpd is enabled for TLS/HTTPS and HTTP, then one might
want to say:

     procd_add_mdns "http" "tcp" "80" "daemon=lighttpd"
     procd_add_mdns "https" "tcp" "443" "daemon=lighttpd"

But, this doesn't work. Putting them both results in neither being announced.
Looking at the JSON that is created by procd_add_mdns_service (setting PROCD_DEBUG)
I can't quite understand this. It seems that it ought to announce the second one.
Removing either line allows the other to work.

The _procd_ shell scripts are indeed deep and twisty.
I would be happy to attempt to document them if there isn't already a
document somewhere.

I understand it is using shell variables to assemble the data and then pass
it to jshn to assemble it.  Nifty.
A bit odd that jshn and libubox comes from omcproxy package, even though I
recognize that's just where libubox is built.

If there documentation on jshn, I can't find it.
It feels like this shell script ought to be in the procd package, since the
procd.sh can't operate with the /usr/share/libubox/jshn.sh.

But, whatever.

In the end, I've managed to create a file for /etc/umdns/foo.json which does
what I needed, and I'd like to document that better.