Policy on BUILD_PATENTED

Mauro Mozzarelli mauro at ezplanet.org
Sun Aug 9 05:51:04 EDT 2020

On 09/08/2020 03:35, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On 08/08/2020 17:56, Rosen Penev wrote:
>> On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 1:37 PM Mauro Mozzarelli <mauro at ezplanet.org>
>> wrote:
>>> Since OpenWrt is NOT US Based and in fact it appears to be mostly
>>> supported with EU contributions, we should be following the more
>>> liberal
>>> EU policies.
>>>
>>> Personally I am against software patents and I campaigned for the
>>> decision that the EU parliament took to ban them despite significant
>>> lobby from US corporations that would have wanted to limit and
>>> monopolize software development.
>>>
>>> As we know US companies even patent human genome, which is absurd.
>> I happen to agree but IANAL.
>>>
>>> I am proud of the EU decision and I believe that OpenWrt should be
>>> aligned with that spirit.
>
>> Do you believe that BUILD_PATENTED should be turned on by default?
>> https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/blob/master/config/Config-build.in#L64
>>

> I believe OpenWrt should not even *consider* placing its umbrella
> organization(s) -- which are based on the U.S. -- in legal risk
> without at least contacting them first and getting their approval.
>
> Has anyone asked SPI about it yet?

Who/What are these "umbrella" organizations? What is their relationship
with OpenWrt?

And what is the "legal risk"?

Again, OpenWrt is NOT a US based project. US legislation should not and
must not apply.

We have already seen what US corporations do to open source software.
Nothing good can come out of them.